[OSM-talk] Could we just pause any wikidata edits for a month or two?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Oct 4 15:50:46 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 04 October 2017, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> there is another aspect that could be added to your list for
> discussion: wikipedia and wikidata integration on osm tag definition
> wiki pages.
>
> * Some wiki editors seem to believe, the first word of a osm tag
> definition should be a link to a wikipedia article about something
> related to this tag, but sometimes these are also interpreted as
> descriptions of what should go into the tag, particularly when the
> wikipedia link is the only substantial content.
>
> [...]

I agree this problem exists but it has existed for many years so it is
not really something related to the current topic of wikidata and
systematic addition of wikidata IDs.  I would suggest to separate that
discussion.

> Regarding the license question: wikidata is public domain (so taking
> name translations from there shouldn’t pose a problem), but it
> started (AFAIK) with importing things like coordinates and
> interlanguage links from wikipedia, which has different licenses, how
> was this step possible? Maybe because these are seen as facts and not
> copyrightable?

AFAIK Wikipedia essentially says you can enter individual pieces of
information (from any book, any map or any digital database) because
such individual pieces of information are not protected in any way.
You can enter such information freely into Wikipedia and from there it
can be freely transferred to Wikidata (with a different license).  They
ignore the fact that database law says that if you do so
systematically, like if you determine the coordinates of all towns and
cities in Germany from Google, you are subject to the restrictions of
database protection.  Wikipedia ignores that possibility but OSM does
not, therefore for OSM any information entered from Wikipedia or
Wikidata would need to be treated as information from whatever source
it was originally entered into Wikipedia or Wikidata.  If that source
is unknown such information should not be used.  Practically this is
not that much of a problem because if you have some info from Wikipedia
(like a certain name or coordinates) that you don't know the source of
and that you cannot verify independently from other sources or from own
local knowledge it is not information you should enter into OSM anyway.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/