[OSM-talk] Scientific paper on "Information Seeding"

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Oct 10 07:15:06 UTC 2017

Am 10.10.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> The analysis and the observations coming from it look pretty solid.  I
> am not fully convinced by the interpretation of the reasons lying
> largely in contributors taking 'ownership' of the data they contribute.
> This would in my eyes - at least if meant in terms of individual
> ownership - require the original contributors at the beginning to
> continue to be significant in terms of overall contribution volume over
> the whole time span analyzed.  This seems rather unlikely considering
> the active contributor turnover we have in general
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Active_contributors_year.png).

I wouldn't reject the "ownership" hypothesis because of the large, and
increasing, amount of churn. As we know that "most" data is contributed
by fairly small number of contributors and they could well be longer
term contributor too. IIRC there is at least one paper co-authored by
Pascal that has numbers on this, maybe it is worth the effort to dig
that out again.

That said there are obviously other mechanisms that could produce the
measured effect.

Simon