[OSM-talk] New OSM Quick-Fix service

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 13 22:33:59 UTC 2017

Yuri,

On 13.10.2017 23:25, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> I would like to introduce a new quick-fix editing service.  It allows
> users to generate a list of editing suggestions using a query, review
> each suggestion one by one, and click "Save" on each change if they
> think it's a good edit.

I am appalled that after your abysmal OSM editing history where you more
often than not ignored existing customs rules, while *claiming* to
follow them, you're now building a service that entices others to do the
same.

You know full well that your "review suggestions one by one" is a
fig-leaf and that most people will not do that - because it wouldn't be
a quick fix otherwise, would it? How should anyone confirm that
something is "a good edit" when you allow them to make the edit on a map
at ZOOM LEVEL 3? What, in your mind, should someone do to verify that
something is "a good edit"?

You have proven that you have a very different outlook on OSM than what
our community lives by. You think OSM is just a database; if it were for
you, you'd prefer to log in to the database server and do a quick UPDATE
query to change every occurrence of tag A to tag B, and you look down on
the idea that such edits should not be made.

> For example, RU community wants to convert  amenity=sanatorium  ->
> leisure=resort + resort=sanatorium.

... yet the map shows world-wide results. Have the RU community decided
they would like to change this tag world-wide?

This service is going to create only trouble, and you know that
perfectly well.

Bye
Frederik