[OSM-talk] Could we just pause any wikidata edits for a month or two?

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Sun Oct 15 12:39:49 UTC 2017

Hi Ryszard,

Am 2017-10-13 um 01:11 schrieb Ryszard Mikke:
> On 12 October 2017 at 23:23, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
>> As i have pointed out elsewhere doing QA in OSM based on Wikidata does
>> not in any way depend on the automatic addition of Wikidata IDs to
>> OSM - or in other words: Any ID you'd add based on some matching
>> algorithm just for QA purposes you would not need to add at all.
>>

> How exactly would you approach detecting OSM objects with wikipedia=*
> pointing to disambiguation page in wikipedia, instead of the correct one,
> without using wikidata? This is a real problem - e.g. wikipedia link
> "pl:Józefów" is useless as it points to a list of about a hundred places of
> this name. With wikidata one can locate all similar cases and correct them
> - I have done this for Poland as well as for other countries, using Yuri's
> QA tool. Without it, disambig wikipedia links would stay there until
> someone accidentally finds one and will be willing to correct it. One by
> one. There were hundreds of such cases in Poland alone.

You don't need an additional key in OpenStreetMap to find wikipedia=*
tags pointing to disambiguation pages. By parsing the content of the
Wikipedia page and checking if the page looks like a disambiguation page.

And even if detecting disambiguation pages in Wikipedia would miss too
much of them, you could use Wikidata to check if the Wikipedia page the
Wikidata item points to is a disambiguation page according to Wikidata?

While wroting the paragraph above, I wondered how the status of a
Wikipedia page a Wikidata item links to is maintained. Is there a bot
updating them every hour in Wikidata? If there is no such bot (or it is
not running every minute or hour), there is no need for wikidata=* tags
in OSM to find wikipedia=* tags pointing to disambiguation pages because
you could get the status of a Wikipedia page by parsing the Wikipedia
page itself.

Best regards

Michael