[OSM-talk] New OSM Quick-Fix service

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 23:25:14 UTC 2017

Richard, thanks for the link and your analysis.

Eric Raymond once said that "Every good work of software starts by
scratching a developer's personal itch."  Judging by how many different
individuals have created various challenges and fixers, there is clearly a
big irritation - highly messy, unclean data.  A corollary is that the
existing tools do not address the entire scope of the problem, thus new
tools keep being created.  BTW, thanks for listing a few tools I haven't
heard about.

A number of people here feel that we cannot trust our users to be diligent.
While I don't like stigmatizing it in such way, some people some times do
make bad edits. The fundamental question we should keep in mind is:  "does
the benefit outweighs the risk".  Or more precisely  - which approach
produces better result. If we do nothing, the data becomes less consistent,
and sporadic unorganized efforts may hinder more than help. If we do bot
editing, corner cases and bugs may spoil valid data. If a challenge
requires manual edit, we have a high risk of typos - people are not very
good at performing the same edit over and over and not make mistakes. If we
do distributed accept/reject, some people, in theory, may be tempted to be
trigger happy.  In each case, the balance is fairly hard to reach.

In distributed editing, one way to solve the "auto-clicking" is to use
"multi-reviewer" approach - require two people to agree on an edit before
it happens.  I can fairly easily add that capability.  This way, an expert
editor may use the tool for direct editing (power mode), but the published
challenges will require two person agreement, unless the community decides
that a specific query is acceptable with just one.  I do not want to make
that decision for each community, as different cases require different
approaches.

What do you think?  Would that address the most pressing concern?