[OSM-talk] Misrepresentation of OSM by HOT?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:45:41 UTC 2017

HOT and OSM have slightly different aims but HOT does build on OSM.

There are mentions of OpenStreetMap wiki and learnOSM and the O in HOT is
OpenStreetMap.

Having said that adding something along the lines of

"OpenStreetMap is the volunteer-driven open data mapping platform which
makes all of this possible, supported by the not-for-profit
OpenStreetMap Foundation."

even at the bottom of the first page would be helpful.

I accept that HOT has created a number of tools that conventional mappers
use.  LearnOSM has benefited from input from HOT members and I suspect some
of the imagery that is now available to armchair mappers has its roots in
HOT but the quality of mapping from some of its "disposable" high turnover
mappers does leave much to be desired at times so an acknowledgement of
OpenStreetMap's role would not be out of place.

Cheerio John