[OSM-talk] Misrepresentation of OSM by HOT?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Oct 24 12:47:31 UTC 2017

On Monday 23 October 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...]
>
> What would be *your* words to say "Hey everybody, I saw this, and I
> think it is bad and needs to change"? What choice of language would
> adequately express your being upset about what you have seen, without
> being denounced as a poisonous person who harms the community by
> seeking support from it?
>
> This is a honest question; I would really be interested in the, if I
> may, "American version" of what Christoph has written. One that does
> express how you're upset while at the same time *not* being
> "combative" and all those bad things you said about Christoph's post.
>
> Maybe then I can use that to express myself in a more internationally
> compatible way in the future ;)

While i appreciate the intention to discuss and bridge cultural
differences the topical background here will most likely prevent this
from happening since the political dimension of this highly political
topic is likely to prevent actually getting to the cultural
differences.

In other words: The replies you get to your request will primarily
express different political views and much less different cultural
backgrounds.

Actually having this discussion without the fog of OSM politics in the
way would be immensely interesting but i am not sure if this is
possible in this venue.

My own experience with Americans in non-political matters is usually
that they are on average more tolerant than Europeans, at least on
their own turf (or in other words: They seem less territorial in
cultural matters).  But if you get into politics (no matter if big
politics or smaller topical matters like in OSM) my impression is that
Europeans often have a better ability to put those politics aside and
communicate without being affected by political differences.  In other
words:  The likeliness of a Communist and an Ultra-conservative having
a friendly and open chat about something like philosophy, science or
art is much higher if they are Europeans.

Note this is a completely subjective impression of me and in no way
meant to imply being representative for any group of people.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/