[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 12:03:18 UTC 2017

On 25/10/17 12:42, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>> Once again, please stop making things up.
>> I was replying to "A Wikidata tag is just as verifiable as Wikipedia tag"
> Whatever you were replying to, the claim you made was - not for the
> first time - false, as others have demonstrated.

I'm with Martin on this one!
As others have demonstrated, there are a number of holes in the way
wikidata works which may be fixed over time, but 'just' using a wikidata
reference is not 100% reliable.

What *IS* nice is the fact that having looked up a wikidata reference,
there may be further links to a number of data sources from which the
data was downloaded but that may NOT currently include wikipedia pages
that are useful to provide background information on object in question.

It would be nice to follow a similar pattern when using any third party
ID. One currently being worked on in the UK is the 'fhrs' database, and
these references are being added to the identified establishments. BUT
it would be nice is these were tagged ref:fhrs in the same way as
ref:edubase was populated previously, and a link to the reinvent data
can be created automatically. ref:wikidata should follow the same
pattern where an object is a one to one match for the referenced page,
but wikipedia tag should be allowed where the referenced page contains
general information about the object ... as in the case of a link to an
artist where the object is a sculpture. Until the wikidata id actually
identifies the sculpture there should not be a wikidata entry.

What is currently missing is a clean set of guidelines for using any
third party reference?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL