[OSM-talk] weeklyOSM #379 2017-10-17-2017-10-23

Éric Gillet gill3t.3ric+osm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 17:47:44 UTC 2017

> A quick note - since i think it is important to make this distinction:
>
> But the OSM wiki as a meta-project for documenting and communicating
> about mapping is not a do-o-cracy on its own.  You cannot simply invest
> a lot of time in the wiki and expect your ideas about how things are
> supposed to be there to supersede those of others, especially those who
> might not spend so much time on the wiki but on other OSM related
> things and who rightfully expect to be able to use the wiki for those
> activities.

This is a really hard subject to tackle. Everyone prefer to have their own
idea/ways validated by others. It is always hard to be corrected, or having
its work replaced by an equally valid work.
The underlying questions I believe are how much one's work should be
immutable ? Can someone "claim ownership" of a wiki page for example by
being the first to write it, or being the most close geographically to the
feature described ?

I do think that one shouldn't expect to have their ideas/work unchallenged
and untouched on OSM. As it is a public work, and
contributors/contributions are expected to be equal, the only way of
expressing their opinion is by contributing in content or discussion. If
you do neither, or fail to provide valid objections to subsequent
modifications, why would one's previous contribution prevail over later
work ?

That's what I meant by do-o-cracy, and I think it applies all the same to
the wiki, which really is a part of the OSM project.