[OSM-talk] Woods vs Forests

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Oct 29 14:16:17 UTC 2017

On 27.10.2017 00:49, Dave F wrote:
> The woods/forest problem is one of the worst tagging cock-ups in OSM.

Indeed. The current mess is especially disappointing because it hasn't
always been that way: The status quo is the result of an attempt to
"improve" the tagging years ago.

>From my point of view, it's plainly obvious that there should be only
one main tag instead of two.

Details on whether the area is used for forestry, whether it is in a
"natural" state (whatever that means), or other such information can be
gathered in addition to that main tag. Gathering that secondary
information should not be a requirement for being able to map the
forest/wood in the first place.

> all areas of trees should
> be primarily tagged as natural=wood. As with other entities, any further
> details which gives clarity should be provided in sub-tags.

That would work nicely as far as I'm concerned.

Tobias