[OSM-talk] Woods vs Forests

Christian Rogel christian.rogel at club-internet.fr
Tue Oct 31 15:26:54 UTC 2017

> Le 31 oct. 2017 à 10:18, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> a écrit :
> A problem comes from the name "natural" that to most people (including mappers) carries a meaning that excludes some meanings accepted in the OSMwiki definition.
> For this reason it would be better to use a tag that carries no distorted meaning, say landcover=trees for instance.

I can see any problem with "natural=wood" as there is a "natural=tree_row" not natural in the reality. Same of "leisure=sport" for a, say, tennis training camp (not very much leisure there ;-) ).
Let us the mappers know there are tags that could not be as transparents they wish.
We don't need a "landcover" for a very limited purpose : keep one type of landuse off overlapping others.
Creating a new tag could be confusing and time-costing.
"Landuse=forest" may remain for large forests off the inhabited places.

Christian Rogel