[OSM-talk] a sample panoramic aerial image for 3D mapping made with the new DJI Spark quad-copter

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 1 14:24:02 UTC 2017

On 9/1/2017 4:07 PM, Greg Morgan wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Oleksiy Muzalyev
> <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch <mailto:oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch>> wrote:
>
>     I received today my new DJI Spark quad-copter and made a panoramic
>     aerial image with it:
>
>     https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aerial_photographs_of_Geneva#/media/File:Geneva-aerial-panorama.jpg
>     <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aerial_photographs_of_Geneva#/media/File:Geneva-aerial-panorama.jpg>
>
>     This aircraft is so small and light that some local regulations
>     are not even applicable for it, as the they are mostly for the
>     UAVs from 0.5 kg up to 30 kg (though the common sense and good
>     piloting are always applicable). Nevertheless the image is of a
>     surprisingly good quality for a cloudy day, and since it is
>     panoramic it covers quite a large area.
>
>     The 21 aerial photos for a panoramic image are taken automatically
>     during a flight, and then they are stitched together by the DJI
>     Media Maker software on a PC.
>
>  Oleksiy,
>
> Thanks for sharing.  Have you tried to vertical shots? For example, I
> know of a new building.  I'd like to get building and the surrounding
> improvements.  It seems like a small UAV that you describe would do
> the job.
>
> Regards,
> Greg

I did not try vertical shots yet. Though Spark cannot direct camera
completely vertically down as Phantom can. It has got the gimbal pitch
from -85 to 0 (-85 degrees is almost vertically down), and Phantom 3 & 4
has got from -90 to +30.
But the advantage is that it weighs only 300 grams, very portable, and
it is ready to fly almost instantly as folding propellers are fixed
permanently, and smart-phone connects to the remote control via WiFi, no
cables are necessary.

Best regards,

Oleksiy