[OSM-talk] a sample panoramic aerial image for 3D mapping made with the new DJI Spark quad-copter

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 1 15:34:35 UTC 2017

> <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch <mailto:oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch>>:
>

>     But the advantage is that it weighs only 300 grams, very portable,
>     and it is ready to fly almost instantly as folding propellers are
>     fixed permanently, and smart-phone connects to the remote control
>     via WiFi, no cables are necessary.
>

> did you try how high/far you can get before loosing the wifi connection?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Hello Martin and James,

In this case was talking about Wi-Fi connection between smart-phone
where runs DJI Go 4 app and the remote control radio, they remain close
to one another all the time. But certainly the flight range of Spark is
not as great as the one of the Phantom.

There is a list of compatible smart-phones for the Spark at the very
bottom of this page: http://www.dji.com/spark/info#specs . I read at the
DJI forum that if one uses such a smart-phone the range is better.

I flew Spark maximum about 700 meters away and 150 (legal limit for the
region) meters high. The video & control signals was present all the
time, though my old smart-phone is not in the list. I ordered already a
compatible one.

For me this range is OK. The best aerial photos are made from the
altitude of 70 - 100 meters anyway, and besides in accordance with the
regulations it is allowed to fly only LoS (line-of-sight) anyway (unless
there is a special license).

The Spark remote controller has got folding outside antennas, so the
range of several hundred meters, or I would guess up to 1 - 1.2 km, is
probably due to these antennas. The range of the Phantom is more than 2 km.

Best regards,

Oleksiy