[OSM-talk] a sample panoramic aerial image for 3D mapping made with the new DJI Spark quad-copter

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 3 12:44:30 UTC 2017

Hi Darafei,

I did something similar with DJI Phantom and an open source stack, but
it seems the Pix4d software does the orthorectification & stitching
better. I will probably give it a try in future. Long time processing
issue could be solved by faster hardware.

A disadvantage of multi-rotors approach is that it's not scalable. For
instance, I walked for three hours just to film with a quad-copter a two
minutes video [1] and some still images of the mountain lake Lac de
Lovenex for its Wikimedia category [2]. On the way back I was literally
dropping from exhaustion.

I work now on a project of a long-range FPV fixed-wing RC aircraft. I
build it around Vector autopilot [3]. An electric RC glider can stay in
the air much longer, hours or even days (the world record is 81.5 hours
[4]) instead of 20 - 40 minutes for a multi-copter.

A RC plane has got only on motor, one ESC, so it uses less energy, has
less metallic parts, and it is cheaper to build. However, it takes time,
3-4 years, to learn to pilot a fixed-wing plane well, especially
landings in adverse weather conditions.

The idea is to build a reliable light RC plane which is capable to stay
in the air for several hours, automatically fly along the way-points at
a constant altitude for the aerial photography and videography, with a
range of about 100 km, with as much DIY as possible to reduce the cost
and make it repairable.

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lac-de-Lovenex.webm
or on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/Jx5tRCKobSc