[OSM-talk] Fixing 850+ disambiguation errors

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 11 07:38:37 UTC 2017

On 11.09.17 05:35, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> Now all disambig-broken points on a map. Click the point to fix it.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ya6htp9f
>

> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Yuri Astrakhan
> <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com <mailto:yuriastrakhan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks!  Worry not, I just added more for fixing, by extracting
>     them from Wikipedia tag using the "fetch wikidata" JOSM tool.  And
>     there is 50K more to add, judging by the difference in
>     key:wikipedia vs key:wikidata in taginfo - i'm sure there are many
>     more errors hiding behind the hard to process wikipedia tag.
>
>     Also, if you have some time, please take a look at the other
>     quality control queries in the examples. Again, thanks for helping!!!

Yuri,

It is great!

The same list but represented on the map makes all the difference. I've
just even corrected a disambiguation error for the "pl" Wikipedia on the
territory of Ukraine.

For handling such errors often common sense and understanding of
Wikipedia and especially Wikidata concepts is enough. But some require a
certain local knowledge.

I wish there was such a layer on the OSM map, - a Wikipedia & Wikidata
layer. It could show by default all the Wikipedia articles & the
Wikidata items, which have the coordinates, on the map. Or there could
be an option to display the disambiguation and other errors or issues, -
for example, articles which require an illustration.

The OSM map and the Wikipedia (Wikidata) are certainly great each by
itself, but when combined together, they create a powerful synergy,
which would, in my opinion, literally change the world. People spend a
lot of money for traveling thousands away kilometers to see interesting
places, burn tons of fossil fuel by doing it, causing climate change and
consequent natural disasters, while unaware that there are absolutely
amazing places nearby. But how could they know it if there is no such
layer on the map?

For instance, twenty minutes from my place there is a Roman Empire
workshop which produced roof tiles and bricks for 800 years without
interruption (I created a Wikipedia article [1] about it and filmed a
short video [2]). For that epoch it was a hi-tech factory. Still now
there are ancient tiles and bricks two millenniums old all around this
place in woods. I think it would be interesting to learn more about
these people, who created and practiced this impressive technology, true
heroes, who literally built the civilization.

I wrote a simple application which shows all the Wikipedia articles for
a selected language version, Wikimedia categories, and Wikidata items in
the radius of ten kilometers around the click [3]. But certainly, a
global layer with the precalculated markers' locations, similar to the
one as via the URL in your message, would be much better.

[1] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuilerie_romaine_des_Bois_de_Chancy

[2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Roman-Tiles-Workshop.webm

[3] http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/