[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Wed Sep 20 07:22:34 UTC 2017

Hi Frederik,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 01:56:31AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/19/2017 10:03 PM, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> > I would like to auto-add all the
> > corresponding wikidata based on wikipedia, for all remaining objects,
> > using  JOSM's "Fetch Wikidata IDs".
>
> If the Wikidata ID can be fetched automatically based on the Wikipedia
> tag, can we delete the Wikipedia tags from everything that has Wikidata
> afterwards because it is redundant?

As a reminder: the OSM search engine relies havily on wikipedia tags
to distinguish the important results from the unimportant ones.

If you are interested in keeping a half-way functional search on the
main site, it might be a good idea to find somebody to implement
support for Wikidata IDs in Nominatim before you enagage in a mass deletion
of Wikipedia tags.

Sarah