[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 20 15:23:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 20.09.2017 17:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> It is best to regard the wikidata and wikipedia tags in OSM as 'related
> features' rather than identical objects.  These provide useful sources
> to research additional information (in particular wikipedia articles
> often link to additional sources) but you should never try to fix or
> add something in OSM - be that a name tag or coordinates - based purely
> on the assumption that the wikidata object referenced via tag is the
> same as the OSM feature.

Does that mean that the original plan of "fetching" (dare I say
importing) 200k Wikidata links through automated connections from
existing Wikipedia links is (a) dangerous because you can easily obtain
a reference to something totally different, or (b) no problem because it
is *to be expected* that an object's Wikipedia and Wikidata links point
to different things an hence the import wouldn't introduce "errors" per se?

Bye
Frederik