[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:37:46 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:02 PM, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> Simple example:  The Faroe Islands are both a country:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/52939
>
> and an archipelago:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3067431
>
> in OSM which are represented as separate features obviously.  Both
> reference the same wikidata item [...]

This is most certainly a wrong modeling in Wikidata. While we can just have
one well-written and comprehensive Wikipedia article about the
country/archipelago, in Wikidata, one item should correspond to one
concept. So there should be separate Wikidata items for the archipelago and
the country. The fact that it isn't like that right now is simply because
Wikidata is an ongoing project, just like OSM.

As an example, we have the island of Bali (
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4648) versus the province of Bali (
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3125978), though there is only just one
English Wikipedia article covering both concepts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali