[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:35:49 UTC 2017

One other thing: lets not build walls between different projects. I know
its in a human nature to do that, but lets not.  In Wikipedia, every
language is also a separate project, and there I also saw a lot of "this is
not how we do things around here".

Each project is ran by people.  Most people contribute to more than one
project, so lets not say "they do X, but we do Y", because often "they and
us" is the same person. Obviously some rules differ, and we should respect
that, but (I hope) most of us dedicate our volunteer time because we
believe in the general principal:  making knowledge available to everyone
freely.  OSM concentrates on geographical knowledge. Wikidata - on
classification.  Wikipedia - on descriptions.  All three, as a sum, can be
much greater than each one separately.  Lets keep that in mind when we
think how we can coexist better, and how to reduce the overlap.  Keeping
duplicates in sync is always harder than to let the tools do their data
merging work if needed.