[OSM-talk] Wheelchair accessibility

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 12:43:18 UTC 2017

On 21/09/2017 13:19, Clifford Snow wrote:
> ... which makes it difficult for some people in wheelchairs to access.
> Even though the requirement is there, I would probably mark it as
> inaccessible.

Funnily enough, someone at a recent OSM East Mids meetup mentioned
exactly that sort of issue - specifically the width of some wheelchairs
and the difficulty navigating the entrance / exit (not someone _at_ the
meetup, just someone who happened to be in the same room of the pub).
I'm pretty sure that I'd struggle to tell whether a bus was "actually
accessible" or not until I'd actually tried it with a wheelchair.

Other examples of this sort of thing that I'm aware of are a
barrier/bend in the path combination (1) that is probably doable in most
wheelchairs but not on a mobility scooter (the problem there is not the
width of the barrier but that combined with the location) and a crossing
of a busy road (2) which is likely impassable to both most of the time
because of the volume of traffic.  I've refrained from adding wheelchair
tags to either because I don't think I'm best placed to make the
necessary value judgement about it.

Cheers,

Andy

1) http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/54.01163/-1.05798