[OSM-talk] WhatOSM, a guide for contribution tools

PanierAvide panieravide at riseup.net
Thu Sep 21 18:14:24 UTC 2017

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm clearly not an expert of legal issues,
so the following may probably not make sense.

<developer nonsense>
The goal of this tool is to help new contributors, and making them more
easily start contributing to OSM. If we give it an obscure name, not
referring to OSM, then where is the link between this tool and OSM ? I
understand legal issues, but I hope that we don't loose of sight that we
are a community project, and we need some form of cohesion. Our tools
don't share so much except that they edit OSM data or help people doing
so. According to this policy, JOSM should have been named instead "Java
Editor for you-know-which-map-I'm-talking-about" ? Doesn't make sense to me.

However, if there is a way to keep the name and sign some sort of
contract, implying that I will not misuse the name or so, no problem,
that would be fair. But let's keep the fun in creating tools for OSM,
and not being able to name it using OSM is clearly boring plus
misleading for users.
</developer nonsense>

Thanks for reading this nonsense, I'm totally open to find a way to
solve this potential naming issue, if someone can give me some hints
about it, it would be great.

Regards,

Adrien.

--