[OSM-talk] WhatOSM, a guide for contribution tools

PanierAvide panieravide at riseup.net
Fri Sep 22 12:31:49 UTC 2017

+1, taking pictures for Mapillary or OpenStreetCam is not really
competiting with time for OSM contribution. Moreover, I gave a talk
about using street-level imagery for contributing to OSM [1] to this
year State of the Map. Clearly, pictures taken by other people allowed
me to spend hours contributing remotely, which I could'nt have done
without this data source (as my city is already pretty well mapped).

 > For new contributors, the recommendations feel a bit too focused on
 > niche use cases, and not enough on core OSM. When people have a few
 > hours or days to spare and want to contribute to OSM, then I would
 > almost always recommend that they start mapping in their local area
 > using iD or JOSM (depending on computer skills).

Well, we can also add traditionnal OSM editors in the list ;-) But the
original idea was to make people discover new thematic tools. I think
when someone introduce you to OSM, the person always mention mainstream
editors. And if you have any idea of interesting tools for less "niche"
cases, let me know.

 > Something else to consider is that "outside" and "remotely" does not
 > cover the entire OSM experience. In fact, the traditional way to
 > contribute is to collect data outside, and enter it back at home. Right
 > now, that's not an option with your tool.

In fact we already manage tools working in both cases (working both on
desktop and smartphone, like OSM notes). And for applications needing
ground data but only working on desktop, even if it's not explicit in
the app, if you don't have info then you will instinctively go find it
on the ground. Like OpenBeerMap, it doesn't work well on smartphone, so
you will mainly use it on desktop. But if you can't remember which beer
is served on a given pub, the best solution is to go buy some by
yourself and then input data (be careful of drunk data) :-)

 > Hope this mail doesn't come across as too negative! I mostly focussed on
 > potential improvements rather than the things that worked fine for me
 > (i.e. everything not mentioned here).

No worries, as long as it is constructive, it's good to have the
feedback ;-)

Regards,

Adrien.

[1] http://my.pavie.info/ftp/p4c-sotm-2017/diapo.pdf