[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 25 13:53:55 UTC 2017

> <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch <mailto:oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch>>:
>
>     The Latin language itself has been for centuries the language of
>     science, and it remains the language of scientific classification.
>     For example, Isaac Newton wrote his breakthrough books in Latin.
>

> Ancient Greek has been for centuries the language of science and has
> contributed many words to the scientific language of many modern
> languages, which are still in use today.  And similarly to using latin
> there will be no doubt about which preference is given (European
> culture). ;-)
>

> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> PS: Seriously, choosing Latin rather than English has no advantage
> besides adding an elitarian touch on top of the Europe-centricity.

The discussion is on ideas of introducing labels in Latin alphabet. The
ancient Greek, however, has got its own non-Latin alphabet.

If not Latin, then why English? Why not French? The metric system, which
is used in most countries, was developed in France. At least, using the
Latin language removes such questions. I guess it is probably acceptable
for the Latin America; if so it is not completely a Europe-centricity
solution.

And it is not necessary to study the grammatical structure, what we need
is just to look up a name of a place, one word, in the "la" Wikipedia.
And it is understandable, for example Japan is:
https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaponia , Tokyo is:
https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokium

It is clear, that keeping map titles only in local alphabets is a
possibility, - it is the status quo. The question was how still to make
a map usable on the international scale.

Best regards,

Oleksiy