[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 25 14:39:57 UTC 2017

On 25.09.17 16:19, Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 25/09/2017 14:53, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
>>
>> If not Latin, then why English? Why not French?
>>
> Well _obviously_ the answer is Esperanto.  There are a few Esperanto
> enthusiasts adding names to OSM (see e.g.
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Aeo and
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/157076265 ).  I'm surprised that one
> of them hasn't popped up in this thread already.
>
> While we're at it can we change the default tagging language to German
> so that we can be a bit more precise about everything?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy (not entirely seriously)

The Latin language has got an advantage over Esperanto. It is possible
to view and read historical maps which are often in Latin. For example,
in Latin the North Pole is Polus Arcticus, and in Esperanto it is Norda
poluso. But if one looks at the historical map:

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polus_arcticus#/media/File:Mercator_north_pole_1595.jpg

it is Polus Arcticus.

The same about inscriptions on the historical monuments, plaques,
stones, columns, walls, etc. I have nothing against Esperanto, but it
was created only by the end of the 19th century.

Best regards,
Oleksiy