[OSM-talk] Fixing OSM wikipedia redirects

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 03:11:52 UTC 2017

At the moment, there are nearly 40,000 OSM objects whose wikipedia tag does
not match their wikidata tag. Most of them are Wikipedia redirects, whose
target is the right wikipedia article. If we are not ready to abandon
wikipedia tags just yet (I don't think we should ATM), I think we should
fix them.  Fixing them by hand seems like a huge waste of the community
time, when it can be semi-automated.

I propose that a small program, possibly a plugin to JOSM, would change
wikipedia tags to point to the target article instead of the redirect.

Thoughts?