[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Stefano sabas88 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 18:04:38 UTC 2017

> I think that the underlying issue in wikidata tags is that they are
> external IDs. Not human readable, they cannot be entered 'by hand' nor
> verified on the ground.

Yes, it's an external ID, but it acts as intermediary with other databases,
because Wikidata acts as a central repository for IDs (see
https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2014/10/178785-wikidata/fulltext). One could
perform a reconciliation of its database against Wikidata instead of
against OSM, and get a match 'for free'.
We can't add OSM ids in WD because they aren't stable, so Wikidata IDs
could be the stable IDs for certain classes of objects (those "worth" of
some description in another project?).

"Entered by hand" they can't be in the same way as Wikipedia entries can't
(you add a wikipedia tag hoping someone will fill the "red link" on that
wikipedia page?)

> Once you accept them in OSM, you can't really complain about bots.
>
> Yves (who still think such UIDs are only needed for the lack of good query
> tools).

Stefano