[OSM-talk] Fixing wiki* -> brand:wiki*

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 16:31:41 UTC 2017

On 27/09/17 16:48, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 27 September 2017 at 16:06, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> While it is not yet complete, in what way is Wikdiata failing to be
>>> sufficiently reliable?
>>
>> Much of the work I did on wikipedia was stripped for all sorts of
>> reasons.
>
> My question was about Wikidata's reliability, not yours ;-)

My experience of 'wikipedia' is bad and so that colours my thinking
about using wikidata! I know many of us who used to be contributors are
in the same boat ...

>> critically I'd prefer to see the wikipedia pages containing a link to
>> the wikidata entry!
>
> They do.

Not on a number of articles I've recently been looking at while checking
out the CURRENT wikidata offering. I've not found wikidata id's on the
wikipedia articles I looked at ... but wikidata does seem something I
should perhaps reassess.

>>> That is exactly what Wikidata is for.
>>
>> But has yet to be formally adopted by OSM ... at which point the
>> wikidata id becomes the OSM unique reference?
>
> I've not seen anyone advocate that.

Personally I'd prefer to see an OSM id I can use as an alternative to
wikidata ... with a few links to other datasources without relying on
wikidata.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL