[OSM-talk] Overlapping brands (was "Fixing wiki* -> brand:wiki*")

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:50:33 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 27. Sep 2017, at 17:57, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In Germany both Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud operate, but these tend to be tagged in OSM as operator rather than brand, and the only wikidata example I can find is https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25716765

which btw. is another good example of misleading and wrong information via wikidata. There’s no indication that there are 2 groups of companies (Aldi nord and süd) each of which consisting of many companies, instead it seems Aldi is one single company “GmbH & Co. KG” (property legal form). There’s not even the full name, nor a vatin. It also suggests that the aldi nord logo is the logo for this aldi süd instance.

If you tag operator=Aldi Süd there’s no problem, but if you tag operator:wikidata=
Q125054
you introduce errors and uncertainties.

cheers,
Martin