[OSM-talk] Links from wiki* back into OSM

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 09:55:56 UTC 2017

On 28/09/2017 10:36, Marc Gemis wrote:
> Andy are you now saying that it is OK to have 1 wikidata tag on each
> street, so someone can create an external list of streets with
> Wikidata ids to represent some kind of collection (like "all streets
> named after Leuven") ?
Firstly I'm not saying "what is or is not OK" - that's essentially the
point of this discussion, to find out what people do think.

What I'm saying is that the expression of that sort of relationship
possibly doesn't belong in OSM itself (because it's not really
on-the-ground verifiable, or at least in many cases it won't be).

If a street passed whatever tests wikipedia impose to have a wikipedia
entry, and by inference a wikidata one (wikidata items essentially being
all created from wikipedia, with links added later) then yes, by all
means add a wikipedia/wikidata link to the OSM object, then add your
"etymology" link within wikidata.

Obviously wikipedia/wikidata's rules for inclusion are very different to
ours (in some cases the opposite - wikipedia says "no original research
- please copy from some other source").  There are plenty of examples of
things that people think should be in wikipedia and aren't, and also
things that shouldn't be in wikipedia/wikidata (because they don't
exist) and are.

Best Regards,
Andy