[OSM-talk] QA bots commenting on changesets - your thoughts?

_ dikkeknodel dikkeknodel at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 14:08:10 UTC 2018

Hi Michał,

I can see value in making sure that mistakes are not accidentally introduced. However, I am not sure whether a bot like you describe is a wanted solution.

  *   I have concerns about false positives, when the bot considers an action as braking a connection and gives comment while the change is actually valid. This relates to what Martin brings in, false positives raise the noise level and the comments will therefore be ignored in the future. I don’t know what an acceptable level for false positives is, but there must be literature on it from psychology/computer sciences.
  *   Feedback by a bot as comment to a changeset is too late for maintaining data integrity, the mistake is already submitted to the database. The feedback should be given when trying to submit a changeset. I can imagine an implementation similar to what JOSM does for validation before submitting a dataset. This validation should then occur on the OSM server instead, or access to the changeset API should only be allowed for applications that have decent validation implemented. The second option is maybe preferable from a money perspective, since the calculations will be done locally and no server capacity is required. It will however put more requirements on hardware and software used to input data.

Cheers, dikkeknodel