[OSM-talk] Recent geotagged additions to Wikidata

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Apr 6 18:23:51 UTC 2018

Dear Andy,

Thank you for sharing this information.

I work on adding Wikidata IDs to objects in OSM. I also work on Wikidata
items themselves.

The nature of Wikidata changes. We can make now Wikidata items useful
for the OSM mapping. For example, I am not experienced in mapping of
historical forts. However with the video-camera DJI Osmo and ultra-light
quad-copter DJI Mavic Air I could film a short video of the fort,
publish it in its Wikimedia category, and add the value "video" to its
Wikidata item. This equipment is so portable that it fits in a small
backpack, and at the same time it is capable to produce 4K mechanically
stabilized ground and aerial footage.

Here is an example, - the Fort l'Écluse on the map:

its wikidata item with video value:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3078389

and 5 minutes 4K ground and aerial film of this fort, which I recorded
last weekend:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fort_l%27%C3%89cluse.webm

The idea is to produce mini-documentaries for OSM objects, which could
be useful for mappers too, as an addition to existing satellite imagery
and still photos. This is work in progress. Besides, technology changes
so fast. I still remember how we had to use kites and water rockets for
aerial photography (videography was practically impossible due to
vibration).

With best regards,
Oleksiy