[OSM-talk] today's tragic helicopter accident in Bavaria

Jack Armstrong Dancer@sprynet.com jacknstacy at sprynet.com
Wed Apr 11 01:21:17 UTC 2018

Are you saying you think an aviation accident could have been avoided if OSM data was better? I've been an air traffic controller for 38 years. Aviation hazards, such as towers at airports, are well charted on navigational charts and airport diagrams which pilots are required to use. A pilot would never use OSM as a means of avoiding ground hazards at an airport. Besides, this particular accident happened at 10:00 A.M. local time, meaning it was daylight. The vast majority of aviation accidents are the result of pilot error. If a helicopter pilot allows his rotor blades to collide with a clearly visible object, that is negligence on the captain's part.