[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Undiscussed mass-revert by user Nakaner-repair

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:58:33 UTC 2018

> If mappers find edits they consider questionable - either factually or methodologically - and attempts to get in contact with the mapper making those edits fail it is commonly accepted practice that mappers can revert such changes
While that is somewhat correct (I question how common or accepted or in what cases a revert is called for, but anyway...), that's not what's happening as far as I understand. All edits are being reverted without evaluation of their individual merit.
Nakaner seems to be applying an organized editing policy here without grounds. We do not have an official policy, nor do we have guidance on how this kind of situation would be managed.
I am not saying there is not an issue here with the edits by these mappers and this group. Just that this action by Nakaner does not look to be particularly well thought through.
>  i am pretty sure the local US community does not want this to continue in their domain and how to best accomplish that would be a good subject of discussion
While you are probably correct that the US community does not want this kind of behavior,, as far as I can tell no one was consulted outside of the German forum discussion, where the US community does not tend to hang out -- so I'm not sure you should just make this assumption. How best to accomplish this would actually be a good subject of discussion, but _before_ a mass action such as the one Nakaner has deputized himself to do.
-Mikel
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, April 20, 2018, 12:30:02 PM EDT, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

 On Friday 20 April 2018, Ian Dees wrote:

> I'd be interested in seeing all of these reverts reverted (at least
> in the US) until discussion can take place.

I don't know about these changes or the reverts of them in detail but on
a general note here:  If mappers find edits they consider
questionable - either factually or methodologically - and attempts to
get in contact with the mapper making those edits fail it is commonly
accepted practice that mappers can revert such changes.  This happens
every day many times all over the world and is a good way to reduce the
workload of the DWG by not getting them involved in all the small
matters mappers can resolve between each other.

OTOH reverting an edit, even if that edit itself is a revert, without
trying to discuss it with the mapper making it, is generally not
considered to be acceptable.

I don't want to assess Nakaner's edits with that but your call for a
blanket revert of them without a previous discussion giving him the
chance to explain his intentions with those edits and their merit would
not be in line with established practice in OSM.

If what the discussion on the German forum indicates is accurate, i.e.
that there is a group of mappers performing organized edits which
reject attempts to contact them and evade blocks established to ensure
they do not continue without getting in contact with the community by
creating sockpuppet accounts, i am pretty sure the local US community
does not want this to continue in their domain and how to best
accompish that would be a good subject of discussion.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/