[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:33:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:16:08 +0200
Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I.e. we'd have tons of "name:xx" tags
> plus one tag called e.g. "language=en", that would then mean: The
> default name to use is the name:en name.
>
> I think this would be more elegant than the duplication that you are
> suggesting.

This language=en tag would be placed on a administrative relation,
right?

Note that it would work only in places with single language, and even
in very homogeneous countries, with single culture there are some
correctly tagged objects with name tag in a different languages.

So it would be anyway necessary to supply name:en to names that are in
English to confirm that this names are really in English.

This method would also not work at all in places with more complex
language situation (multiple communities, each using local language).

On top of that it is a bit complicated to use as a data consumer.

Overall I am not convinced that it is a good replacement.

PS My comments in future will be from a matkoniecz at tutanota.com email,
that is still me - not some impostor.