[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Wed Apr 25 06:48:31 UTC 2018

Hi,

maps.me took approach similar to Nominatim's: each map region has "default
language" in metadata, and in case the name:<default_language_here> is
needed but is missing, just name tag is taken.

Similar approach was used when making a map for Wargaming's World of Tanks,
looking at the country's iso code. A list used there is available on github,
https://github.com/wgnet/globalmap/blob/master/data/country_languages.csv

(Translations that OSM lacks were performed by professional translators and
also published under ODbL,
https://github.com/wgnet/globalmap/blob/master/data/wgnl_localizations.csv,
and for non-critical map labels we've trained anything-to-latin and
anything-to-cyrillic neural networks, results
https://github.com/wgnet/globalmap/tree/master/data/rnn).