[OSM-talk] Sidewalk symmetry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:33:45 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 24. Apr 2018, at 20:56, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>
> * With separate ways, we don't know which road section a sidewalk
> belongs to.
> * This knowledge is necessary for many applications.

For routing I don’t think it’s very important, an application that comes to mind is in jurisdictions like Germany where you have the obligation to use a cycleway (i.e. you cannot use the road). For rendering it isn’t important to know which way the sidewalk refers to, it is more important to know it is a sidewalk at all.
From a practical point of view, people have often been omitting properties like “name” on sidewalks and cycletracks, which made it hard to give good turn by turn instructions, but this is not inherent to mapping sidewalks separately.

Cheers,
Martin