[OSM-talk] Paper/Article about stagnation in OSM

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 3 06:41:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-02 22:14, john whelan wrote:
> Lat and long work quite well.  If you have a smartphone with GPS it
> understands lat long.  It may not understand 8 letter addresses.  Some
> combination of letters may offend. How would you space them out?

It is What3words all over again, and some people don't seem to
understand why that won't work or is not a better solution than what's
already available.
What3words (or the like) only works if you have a computer (or
smartphone) to search for your address. But if you have one, then there
is also no need for a simple to understand location scheme (like
fish.market.smells) because you have a device to store more complex or
less easily rememberable addressing schemes like a lat-lon pair.
Granted, a lat-lon pair only works if you have GPS, but the same is true
for What3words, and you need that GPS anyway to get to your location.
The extra penalty for What3words is that you also need an active
internet connection (or a huge offline addressing database) to convert
the three words to a location. So it is never easier than a lat-lon
combination. If you don't have this internet connection (which is more
likely in remote areas where there is no proper addressing scheme) then
you're SOL or JWF.
What's more: with lat-lon you can judge the distance between locations
just by looking at it. With What3words this is absolutly impossible.

So Oleksiy, your comment about developers living in stable places
applies equally well to the notion that What3words or your scheme would
work. It does in a stable developed area, but does not in the outback.

Just to give an example: last week I was in a field where an animal was
in distress. I needed to call the police and alert them to the
situation. I needed to communicate the location. Is it easier and
quicker for me to first open some app to try and find my 8 letter
location or my 3 What3words, or is it easier and quicker to just read
out my gps location?

Regards,
Maarten