[OSM-talk] highway=* + area=yes vs area:highway=*

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 8 12:54:11 UTC 2018

Hi

Overpass query in Greater London:
nwr["highway"~"footway|cycleway|path|pedestrian"][area=yes] = 1949
nwr["area:highway"~"footway|cycleway|path|pedestrian"] = 40

If I see a highway=footway + area=yes, I always convert it to
highway=pedestrian + area=yes, which is documented in the wiki & renders
on the 'standard' map.

I would be happy to see highway=footway + area=yes not render. It would
speed up the conversion rate.

Having the most instances isn't a reason not to change the tagging
scheme, but there has to be a justifiable reason; an improvement in
usability. Concatenating keys doesn't do that.

Cheers
DaveF