[OSM-talk] highway=* + area=yes vs area:highway=*

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Aug 8 16:17:29 UTC 2018

On 08.08.2018 12:49, Tomasz Wójcik wrote:
> Due to our rules, that we shouldn't have 2 active tagging
> schemes for the same feature

These tagging schemes are for 2 different real-world features:
* roads/paths (i.e. linear features with a direction)
* plazas/squares (i.e. open areas where people will walk across in all
directions)

Linear roads/paths are mapped as highway=* ways, optionally with an
additional area:highway=* polygon.

Plazas/squares are mapped as highway=* + area=yes polygons.

So the area:highway key is never an alternative to highway polygons with
area=yes! In any given situation, only one or the other will be correct.