[OSM-talk] Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Barry Hunter barry at barryhunter.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 19:36:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM Oleksiy Muzalyev <
oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> On 10.08.18 21:07, Mark Wagner wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:32:50 -0700
> > Vao Matua <vaomatua at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Plus code can be calculated on the fly, but if they are
> >> to be used we will need to have hardcopy maps with the addresses that
> >> can be used to direct aid workers to a specific location.
> > Plus codes form a hierarchical grid, so supporting them on hardcopy
> > maps can easily be done when the maps are prepared for printing.
> >
> > I don't know if you're familiar with the UGSG topo maps, but if you
> > aren't, I recommend looking at one of the 1:24000-scale maps from the
> > late 1970s/early 1980s.  It's got three location grids on it: UTM
> > coordinates and latitude/longitude markings on the outside, and PLSS
> > township/range/section markings on the map itself.  Adding a plus-code
> > grid to the map would be no problem, and wouldn't require importing
> > billions of tags into OSM.
> >
> It is absolutely clear. A plus-code is generated by a mathematical
> formula from coordinates almost instantaneously, and vice versa.
>
> The same as say the binary code is generated from the C++ programming
> language, or words are created from letters, etc. It is just another
> layer of abstraction, which makes it easier to perform a task.
>
> In principle it is possible to write a computer program in assembler,
> the low-level programming language. But it is a bit easier to do it in
> C++, Java, PHP, etc. The same is here.

> It is easier to memorize a
> plus-code, to transmit over the telephone, to put it on the address
> plaque, etc.

So do that *now*. It works.

The 'receiver' just needs a program (unless they know how to decode in
head!) to decode it and use it.

OSMAnd is one example quoted that can ALREADY decode it.

https://osmand.net/blog?id=osmand-2-6-released

Support for Open Location Code (OLC)

OsmAnd now also supports the Open Location Code (OLC) way of representing
coordinates. OLC coordinates are a combination of letters and numbers, and
is considered to be handled easier than the traditional latitude and
longitude coordinates. Please read more about OLC here
<http://openlocationcode.com/>. You can now also search locations via this
code in the Search menu - Address - Coordinates Search, there select 'OLC'
under Coordinate format. Also, the context menus of any location selected
now displays OLC in addition to Latitude and longitude.

Nominatim, or any other 'search box' or geocoder could just as easily
implement the decoding of the Open Location Code.

It's a tiny (in the grand scheme of things) but of code to add to the
application.

> Yes, it is possible to do the same thing with coordinates'
> digits, but nobody does it.

How many people do enter a coordinate in the OSM serach box? Apart from map
geeks not many.

With little effort the box could easily understand a plus code.

It doesnt need millions of tags imported into OSM database to enable it.