[OSM-talk] Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Fri Aug 10 20:30:39 UTC 2018

> I think it will work like this - a dispatcher at an ambulance service says
> during a call: "We will not go to your house unless you provide the
> plus-code. Bot the Google Maps and OpenStreetMap websites allow to generate
> the plus-code for a house." I mean it will not work without a leadership.
>
> The OLC is Open Source with the Apache 2.0 license. I have a doubt though, -
> cannot Google in couple of years say: "We change the license and not one has
> to pay for the OLC usage?" I am not a lawyer and I do not know such
> subtleties.

They can't change the license to the code released now. Download it,
it is yours to use in accordance with the license it was released
under forever.

If they enhance it later, add new code, rewrite it, etc, that can be
under a different license.

But what works right now (or until a license change) will keep working
assuming you have the hardware and software to run it.

cheers
blake