[OSM-talk] Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 23:59:45 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 12. Aug 2018, at 01:40, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>
> People seem to be looking more for unique ids for their dwellings than something that is dependent on a relatively fine grained location/coordinate value, of which you may have multiple for one house. We know this works, it is still a very common system in alpine regions in Europe.

It depends a lot on the details and setting, in Venice, to give an example with a dense urban setting, building entrances are numbered with 4digits, unique within their “sestiere” (literally not quarter but sixth), and it doesn’t work well for finding a place (unless you use a map which has all the numbers). For a quick impression:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/45.44062/12.34087

Cheers,
Martin