[OSM-talk] Community Data License Agreement – Permissive and ODbL?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Aug 22 17:17:50 UTC 2018

Hi Maurizio

If the context is actually using data from whosonfirst, I don't believe
that this is actually a sensible question. Any data source used by wof
that actually has a licence that is suitable for use in OSM could be
used directly without the added complication of the linux foundations
licence. Historically wof has suffered from similar issues as
"Open"Addresses, I believe however that they put a significant effort
into cleaning things up a bit before the demise of Mapzen, but I
wouldn't be surprised if they still had CC BY sources, which as we all
know are not suitable for use in OSM .

Outside of that, no, the LWG has not made a determination if at all or
with what caveats CDLA licensed data could be included in OSM.

Simon

PS: long diatribe on why on earth the linux foundation is supporting an
OSM competitor not included.