[OSM-talk] Representing places with no housenumber

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 10:03:13 UTC 2018

On 23/08/18 10:16, Mark Wagner wrote:
> As a rather extreme first-world example, the address of
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/132723167  is:
>
> name=Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge
> addr:city=North Rim
> addr:state=AZ
>
> Not only does the building not have a house number, house name, or
> other house identifier, the road it's on isn't named either.  When
> there's only one road in town, and that road only has one building that
> receives mail, you don't need much in the way of identifiers.

But I see nothing wrong with that. MANY places the name is also the
building name ...

I don't think anybody is saying there HAS to be a building number and if
they are then THAT is the error. Many rural buildings simply have a name
which in the case of the UK gets listed in the PAF file and I would
simply expect 'Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge' to be the address if USPS
had a similar postal address listing?

I find the practice of adding ANY tag that does not enhance the data as
pointless. There is no need to TAG that there is no number ... you just
don't add the tag ... just as the example here ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL