[OSM-talk] Representing places with no housenumber

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Aug 24 08:40:38 UTC 2018

On 22/08/18 23:40, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2018, Rory McCann wrote:
>>> The single most important property of an address is that it is
>>> unique
>>
>> 35% of addresses in Ireland aren't unique.
>
> I strongly suspect we have a different understanding of either 'address'
> or 'uniqueness' here.

Possibly. The Irish definition is "a property has the same address with
a least one other property". I'm not talking about 2 postboxes that are
beside each other in an apartment block, but 2 houses which could be a
distance apart. Post/Packages is delivered partially based on surname,
or "local knowledge" 😉. It is/was a pain. The new postcode ("eircode")
will help. Now, you may say the surname is part of the address, but what
happens when someone moves house? And we shouldn't put surnames into
OSM. So the "address" isn't unique. I don't bring it up to disprove you
or argue, just to point out that the world is weird. 🙂

--
Rory