[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 11 13:22:47 UTC 2018

Hi Guillaume,

I would like to point out that in Ukraine displaying a map without
Crimea is illegal, article 110, part 1, of the Penal code. It involves
from 3 to 5 years of imprisonment [1]. So the OSM map without Crimea is
becoming potentially unusable for the community in Ukraine.

I think there should be a technical solution, a technical compromise.
For example, introducing the OSM tag: boundary=demarcation line [2].

There are physical objects on roads between the Kherson oblast of
Ukraine and Crimea in the form of concrete blocks [3] from both sides,
mapping which somehow could be useful. Hitting such a road block in
darkness at high speed would be a hapless event.

Local people get arrested regularly for crossing inadvertently [4], so
it could be practical to show a demarcation line. Usually they are let
go after a couple of days and a fine. But even a day or two in a prison
could be a sad experience.

[1] http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2341-14
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarcation_line
[3]