[OSM-talk] Board decision on Crimea complaint

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:16:57 UTC 2018

As long as state borders need to fulfil ground truth and broad
international recognition, which are in conflict with each other, this
inevitably requires arbitrary decisions.

It seems to me that the solution that agrees the most with our
principle of ground truth is to abandon the broad international
recognition criterion and to set up independent and verifiable
criteria for states (or rather admin:level=2 boundaries).

I'd suggest to adopt the first three criteria of Article 1 of the
Montevideo Convention [1] (also known as the declarative theory of
statehood [2]), which are

  1. a permanent population,
  2. a defined territory,
  3. a government.

(I'd leave out the fourth criterion – capacity to enter into relations
with the other states – because it leaves too much room for
interpretation.)

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo_Convention
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state#Declarative_theory

Regards