[OSM-talk] Ground truth for non-physical objects

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:17:54 UTC 2018

Am Mo., 17. Dez. 2018 um 10:41 Uhr schrieb Colin Smale <
colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:

> On 2018-12-17 09:57, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> Am Sa., 15. Dez. 2018 um 16:09 Uhr schrieb Colin Smale <
> colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
>
>> "without access to the same sources" ... what if there is only one source
>> of truth? With these non-observable items like admin boundaries that is
>> often the case.
>>

> for admin boundaries there will often be at least 2 "true" document
> sources: one for each party / side. They are also often observable, at
> least punctually.
>

> Looking at the UK position, I have to disagree with you here. Definitive
> admin boundaries are administered by a "higher level". The two parties to a
> common boundary do not have the authority to define the boundary
> unilaterally.

It will depend on the jurisdiction, agreed. I don't know how globally the
majority situation is, but having disputes of municipalities about their
common border is definitely not something completely unheard of, e.g. here
an example from Switzerland:
https://www.rr.be.ch/etc/designs/gr/media.cdwsbinary.RRDOKUMENTE.acq/cf8d94f08bbb4e268658792ba1068cbf-332/3/PDF/2018.RRGR.581-RRB_gescannt-DF-173681.pdf

Cheers,
Martin