[OSM-talk] OSM and Microgrants, an independent OSM project needs your support now

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 03:55:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> After reading the link I'm unclear what the aim is.
>
> Modern DEM data I suspect is available to OSM under licence is there something special about the historical data?  It seems unclear if it is licenced in such a way it could be used by OSM.

I don't really know what his aim is exactly other than to preserve
this resource and probably make available as large seamless TMS layer.
But I trust Grant knows what he is doing and why as he has done this before.

One use case a DEM does not address is place and feature names and
locations, old topo maps have that information usually, DEM does not.
I have used them extensively in the past with GNIS data points which
are gridded to like 30" arcs or something like that, topo maps are
not.

The Perry-CastaƱeda Library Map Collection is one such example of a
similar very valuable resource.

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa.html

And again, if Grant is asking, I am supporting even if he wants to
just make them his desktop wall paper.

Cheers,
Blake