[OSM-talk] Language used in OSM forum/wiki/mailing list

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 13:49:33 UTC 2018

On 21/12/2018 10:36, Naveen Francis wrote:

> It would better to have common guidelines forum/wiki/talk.

Different language communities have different ways of communication.
Some langauges are quite direct, yet to be direct like that in other
languages would be extremely rude   Even within the same language (or
more or less the same, between the US*, the UK and Australia) there are
huge differences about the pleasantries that you have to go through
before saying anything meaningful.  By all means have (as we have now)
catch-all etiquette guidelines but please don't try and prevent
individual communities from communicating with each other as they would
naturally.

Best Regards,

Andy

* and let's not forget that there's a huge variety in the US too.  I'm
from the UK but one big software project I was involved with over there
had, among other people involved, someone who seemed straight out of
60's San Francisco and an ex-Vietnam War pilot from New York.  All of
the project's key players had, shall we say, "different ways of
communicating things".